Home / Training & Assessment / Chainsaw / Assisted Felling
Who is this for?
This course is for chainsaw operators who require the assistance of winch systems to safely and effectively fell trees.
1 day Training with an additional 1 day City & Guilds NPTC Assessment
max. 4 per course
This is normally completed at our site locally to Builth Wells, however this can also run at a site near Llanidloes, in Powys.
(If you have enough people for a full course we are able to run this course on your site (subject to a pre-course visit).
Chainsaw Maintenance & Crosscutting | Felling & Processing Small Trees up to 380mm
City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate of Competence in Assisted Felling
mwmac Training Certificate & City & Guilds NPTC Qualification Certificate
- Understand the conditions necessary for the safe & effective use of the winch or rope, including legislative requirements and controls to prevent environmental damage.
- Understand the differences between winch assisted and conventional tree felling and understand situations that can occur in felling trees using winch or rope assistance.
- Understand the condition, controls & safety features of the pulling equipment component parts.
- Understand the ancillary chokering & anchoring equipment & identify worn or damaged components and describe compatibility of components in the system.
- Understand the preparation of the pulling system to assist in tree felling operation, including correct positioning and configuration of chokers/ slings and any intermediate pulleys and correct choice of anchor point.
- A ‘’failsafe’’ required in the winching system such as the use of wedges by chainsaw operator to support to support tree during felling operation.
- Understand setting up snatch block/pulley for offset pulling &describe and the hazards involved including the risk zones and increased loads imposed on the intermediate anchor point.
- Agree a signalling system between winch operator and chainsaw operator and tension system as appropriate
- Winch assisted tree felling operation, safe & effective, under control of chainsaw operator
- To present produce as specified for subsequent extraction or loading.
- To be able to work safely.
Course Information Sheet:
Course Information Sheet – Assisted Felling
For course dates please visit our Events Page